- Meetup & Join one near you
- Nonfiction Author’s Association, “a vibrant community for authors to connect, exchange ideas, and learn about book publishing and promotion.” I’m a member.
- ALLi (Alliance of Independent Authors) “run regular seminars and events and a popular blog and author advice centre for the wider indie-author community and we campaign and advocate on behalf of self-publishers, everywhere.” I’m a member.
- Rise Up Writers, Facebook group and & newsletter about how to “push past our insecurities & doubts. It’s time to press in to the tensions of platform building, social media, and all the challenges writers face in today’s world and invite the Holy Spirit to guide us through.” I’m a member.
Writing Conferences or Retreats:
- Mount Hermon (agents and publishers present)
- Colorado Write His Answer (agents and publishers present)
- WordWyse Expo: Texas area (independent authors speaking & sharing on marketing, publishing, how-to’s, what not-to’s, social media tools, successful techniques). I’ve attended one of these and walked away with a bagload of practical resource that I hadn’t heard elsewhere. Worth every penny!
- Festival of Faith and Writing (Midwest)
- Indiana Faith and Writing Conference
- American Christian Fiction Writer’s Conference
- Blue Ridge Mountain Christian Writer’s Conference
- Declare Conference (equipping women)
- Faith and Culture Conference (every other year, next one 2017): Oregon
- Association of Writers & Writing Programs (east coast, 2017)
Freelance Writing Jobs:
- Paying Magazine jobs
- Websites & Blogs paying $100 per article
- “20 Ways to Find Freelance Writing Jobs”
- My Pinterest Board: “Writing Careers & Freelancing”
Recommended Writing books to read:
I’ve read all the following and highly recommend them.
- Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear, by Elizabeth Gilbert
- The Right to Write: An Invitation and Initiation into the Writing Life, by Julia Cameron
- The Successful Author Mindset, by Joanna Penn
- On Being a Writer: 12 Simple Habits for a Writing Life that Lasts, by Ann Kroeker and Charity Singleton
- The Writing Life, Annie Dillard
- Bird by Bird: Some Instruction on Writing and Life, by Anne Lamott
- Grammarly “makes everything you type easier to read.”‘
- NY Book Editors
- Rachelle Gardner’s list of freelance editors
- The Novel Doctor
- Editorial Freelancer’s Association (search here)
- Linkedin’s Profinder
- Writer’s Digest’s Critique Service
- The Writer’s Craft